Monday, November 20, 2006

Fat Americans

now that I have your attention. my husband have had THIS discussion ad nauseum for the last 10 years. we have beat this topic to death. why?

he is not an American and therefore anything that is AMERICAN is inferior. to the point that he thinks that the CDC growth charts are grossly unbalanced and do not reflect on world health charts, and tend to favor fat American kids being considered 'normal'

that being said. I did some research:

the WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION, the 'unbiased' watchdog of health had this to say:

OBESITY IS A GLOBAL PROBLEM

OBESITY IS NOT A PERSONAL PROBLEM IT IS A POPULATION PROBLEM. EFFECTIVE PREVENTION WILL REQUIRE AN INTEGRATED APPROACH INVOLVING ACTIONS IN ALL SECTIONS OF SOCIETY.
WHO (skip to page 13, the rest is all blah blah blah)

so what does that mean? that means that rather than worrying about People's Feelings, we need to step up to the plate and exercise portion control. express ourselves to change the way things are done. THIS IS SO KEWL. now I can express to dear hubby that IT IS a world issue, not just American one.

SUPERSIZE ME was a very enlightening video. supersizeme really should have slowed me down, but so far, I found that with my husband away, I have been through the drive through 4 times this week. so I need some self education myself.

I was completely shocked at the portion sizes that I see people using now days. portions I watch people putting away easily 6 to 8 portions and that was not just during the feast yesterday. it is every day.

my daughter and I went to a steakhouse last week. we ordered one Filet Mignon dinner. it came with corn as a side, a salad, and toast. we added a loaded baked potato (ended up being a waste, we already had too much food) and grilled mushrooms. ate 1/2 and the rest was a waste.

we cut the 8 oz steak in half, each getting a 4 oz steak, we split the salad 1/3 for me and 2/3 for her, and she ate all the corn, we split the mushrooms, 1/3 for me and 1/3 for her, and 1/3 went to waste.

I couldn't eat all my steak, she ate all hers, I got two teaspoons of the potato, and she ate about 2/3's.

we were so totally stuffed and completely fed off from one adult portion meal. it really spelled it out to us that portions are out of control. no one really believes that they can survive off from 1-3 oz, I hear it on a daily basis, hell, I hear it here.

nut insist that I need 900 calories. nut is right.

I have not done fit day in a month, but I would hazard to guess that I eat 300-500 calories a day. no supplements. just four vitamins a day and so far my lab work has been stellar. I think that we can really address portion control without a 'HEATED' debate. I think that what I have seen in the last 6 months is not limited to just here in America. I think that it is world wide issue.