Friday, June 24, 2011
Who's YOUR momma?
It started with an Amish Friendship Sour Dough in a bag from Cub Scouts.
it Evolved into a day of reckoning
The 10 day to get to this point are an excersize in patience.
Note: Do not Refridgerate starter. It is normal for the batter to rise and ferment. if air gets in the bag, let it out.
Day 1: do Nothing
Day 2, 3, 4, 5: Mash the bag
Day 6: Add to the bag: 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of milk, mash the bag.
Day 7, 8, 9: Mash the bag
Day 10: follow the directions below:
pour the entire bag into a nonmetal bowl
add 1.5 cups four, 1.5 cups sugar, 1 cup milk
measure out 4 separate batters of 1 cup each into 4 1-gallon ziploc bags, label the current date.
keep one for yourself, and give the other bags to 3 friends along with the recipe.
Remember: if you keep a starter for yourself, you will be baking in 10 days.
1. preheat oven to 325'F
2. measure out 1 cup of remaining starter in a non metal bowl
3. add 2.5 cups of flour (could be white, wheat, or a blend)
4. add 2 tsp of yeast, fold and toss until flour is incoporated.
5. in a pint jar, add 1.5 cups of water, 3 Tbl sugar, 3 Tbl butter, microwave for 1 minute until butter is nearly melted
6. stir in jar, and add to starter / flour / yeast mixture until mixed well.
7. measure out 2.5 cups of flour (could be white, wheat, or a blend), add 1/2 tsp of baking soda, 1 tsp of sea salt
8. mix gingerly with rubber paddle or fingers until all evenly, kneed to smooth finish, cover and let rise about an hour, kneed again. each batch makes one 2 lb or 2 one lb loaves
bake until golden brown.
Posted by Kat at 3:52 PM