okay, here is my brainstorming.
A; this is not SCHOOL, this is EDUCATION. so how long is that going to take?
how long does that job take? 40 hours a week? hmm that is 8-5 not 9-330. so if the WORK at hand is to get an education, not just go to SCHOOL. we are looking at 30 hours of instruction and 10 hours of enrichment.
now the k12 program doesn't say MAXIMUM of 30 hours a week, they said MINIMUM. if your family drives the exact precise speed limit on the freeway, then follow the minimum, if your family goes over about 10 mph, then I would say that they would be acceptable to a 10 hour fudge factor on school work as well. SOUNDS reasonable to me.
remember I am in the same boat, my husband says that this is MY project and I am the PROJECT MANAGER if it succeeds or fails, it is all on me.
so we tried following the k12 recommended day for 21 days. THAT was a FAIL. we do not transition well, I found the kids wandering aimlessly around the house when they KNEW what was on the schedule for that time slot, and they were basically avoiding me and working.
we have a stellar home office with three work stations with three computers with a comfy couch, multimedia surround sound and it is really nice DSL. they are extremely well set up with functionality and all the tools. so it is not THAT, it is lack of direction. the map is in thier hands, the GPS in the pocket, and they still get lost going to the kitchen for a drink.
so here is my plan:
we have a strict menu each week:
- SUNDAY is Pizza, every Sunday, every week, pizza, cheese pizza, cherry pie pizza, veggie pizza, two kinds of pizza, but always PIZZA
- MONDAY, is Mac n Cheese, lasagna, some kind of pasta
- TUESDAY is TACOS, if it is Tacos, it is Tuesday and if it is Tuesday, beef tacos, chicken tacos, it is tacos. you can set your watch by it.
- WEDNESDAY is Soup and Sandwich, usually tomato and grilled cheese, but always S&S
- THURSDAY is spaghetti, every Thursday, every week
- FRIDAY is Fish and Veggies, without fail. fish fillet, fish sticks, fish
- SATURDAY is Crepes, it just is, always, every Saturday, CREPES, sometimes with jam, sometimes with fresh fruit, sometimes just sugar, but always crepes
so we have embraced the menu, I need to chunk up the lessons
Monday obviously must be MATH, math monday, monday math. no problem, makes sense P.E. is every every day, 2 hours of pe, 5 hours of math, that I can pull off
Tuesday... Silly Science (3)and Social Studies(2)
Wednesday... Health & Music
Thursday.... Music - Composition
Friday... Language Arts (GUM, Spelling, Vocabulary, Literature)<~~I am not sure about this one at all
Saturday... Art and Foreign Language
and yes, I think we are going to have to go to 7 a week...