Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I voted


Pulled out of the house at 7:45 am. 15 minutes from parking lot through voting machine and back to car!!! I do not know what all the fuss is about... but I pulled in the parking lot and there were about 15 cars. I was #2 in the A-F line and while there were a lot of choices on the ballots to get through, I was done in 15 minutes (by 8:15 am). My coffee didn't even have time to cool off. It took me longer to find out that HEB was out of Organic Valley strawberry milk (individual servings) and out of Central Market Whole Wheat Spaghetti and out of Guittard Milk Chocolate Chips. I was out and done grocery shopping and back home by 9:30 am.

now about me: Migraine from hell.. in the room with the window's blacked out and drinking lots of fluids and waiting for it to pass.

learning to make homemade from scratch Chocolate pudding and White pepper gravy:

This is going into the WHATSIT? (CHOCOLATE MOUSSE PIE) that I am making this week.

Silky Chocolate Pudding
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups whole milk
6 ounces 62% semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used good quality semisweet chocolate chips; use 70% bittersweet if you want more of a dark chocolate kick)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. Combine the cornstarch, sugar and salt in the top of a double boiler. Slowly whisk in the milk, scraping the bottom and sides with a heatproof spatula to incorporate the dry ingredients. Place over gently simmering water and stir occasionally, scraping the bottom and sides. Use a whisk as necessary should lumps begin to form. After 15 to 20 minutes, when the mixture begins to thicken and coats the back of the spoon, add the chocolate. Continue stirring for about 2 to 4 minutes, or until the pudding is smooth and thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.

this is going into the SHEPHERDS PIE This week: (using left over burger from Taco Tuesday)

White Pepper Gravy:
2 cups water
2/3 cups dry milk powder
1/3-cup flour
1/2-teaspoon salt or to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Pinch of poultry seasoning