Sunday, December 09, 2007

KAtkins Update


Good Morning Friends...

as with just about every aspect of my life, there are good days and there are not so good days.

just last week, I had a not so good day, and then again this week, a really negative day.

here is what I can say is my update at 19 months out...

I started out at 279 in March, 2006 (my highest was 285 lbs in 2001). I lost 27.5 on my own with the Adkins induction -0- carbs for 90 days.

I had a RNY with a mini (.5 oz pouch), I consumed 225 calories a day, still maintaining the Adkins diet, eating three meals a day of Lean Meats and Leafy Green Vegetables, and lost 4.2 lbs each week the first 90 days.

then as my pouch stretched from my increased consumption, the next 90 days my loss was 2.1 lbs a week over time, and while I started increasing my carb intake, as well as my volume intake, I was consuming 450 calories a day, still primarily protein and leafy greens, there were more 'sneaks' of carbs.

the third phase was the a continuation of the past, more food, more carbs, weight loss slowed down, and I ended up with a larger pouch, and was loosing 1.1 lbs a week, consuming nearly 900 calories a day, and a complete mix of food.

the only things that I can not possibly consider consuming at this time is:

corn
cauliflower
greasy food like gravies
stuffing
milk and cream products

when I "dump" I get the shakes, and the sweats, and I feel my heart racing. feels like a heart attack or a panic attack. if it gets really bad, I have to throw it back up. last week I had stuffing and gravy, and that was bad, but earlier this week, I had a piece of a nut go down that was not completely chewed up, and then everything that went down after was stuck, that is called a stricture. I puked and puked and puked until the 'chunk' came back up, and then all was fine.

My overall progress was a total loss of 130 lbs in 12 months. From a size 22/24 to a size 4/6 at 12 months out. I have maintained the loss for 7 months with small 5 lb fluctuation's throughout the month, but overall I am very pleased and would never go back and regret none of the limitations.

as for the blood work. yes, I just got that back, and most everything was perfect. more so than before surgery. however, four things came back that were unusual.
White blood count - low
Red blood count - low
RDW- low (anemia)
Vit D -very low (malabsorption)

as for the calcium.. I chew two chocolate sugar free chews a day, they are available from costco/walgreens. I need more Vit D, so out of the office and into the light. ;-)

as for my blog... http://www.wretchedheathen.com is the plug.

as for sugar.. SPLENDA... SPLENDA... SPLENDA... just accept it and learn to live. ;) I lost all my desire to eat ice cream, and now it is sweet and salty for me.

for the my tummy.. one some things.. like eggs and chicken, I still have about a 1/2 cup capacity. I have to nibble over a 1/2 hour to get two whole eggs down for breakfast. however... on the other side of the track.. I can eat an entire bag of Orville Redenbacher popcorn. I have no idea where it goes, but it does go down. I just chew chew chew really well and by the time I am done. I am satisfied.